How To Renew Your Driver’s License In Malaysia
To legally drive on the road in Malaysia, every driver has to have a valid Competent Driving License (CDL). However, I am pretty sure we all know that our driver’s license comes with an expiry date. It is our responsibility to renew it on time to avoid any complications while driving on the road. Let’s take a look at how we can renew our driver’s license!
Upon obtaining your driver’s license, you will notice a date on the card that states the expiration date. Previously, the license expiration date was a random date that is set according to the validity period that you have picked. Isn’t it a hassle to remember a random date? To make it easier for drivers to remember, the expiration date of your driving license has been set to match your date of birth from mid-November 2011 onwards!
Renewal of driving licenses can be made at the JPJ State / Branch Offices, UTC, 1JPJ Counter, eServices kiosk and Pos Malaysia Berhad (PMB) offices. You can choose the validity period for your driving license but do note that the minimum renewal duration is 1 year, and the maximum duration is 5 years.
Here is a list of required documents to bring along when renewing your CDL:
– Original MyKad/passport of applicants or copies if the transaction is done by representatives
– Original identification of representatives
– Original/copy of driving license
– Personal identification documents of the original representative
– 1 coloured photo (white background) with dimension of 25 mm x 32 mm
– Hold a valid passport (For foreigners)
– A yearly fee of RM20.00 for Class B, B2 & C. (RM2.00 for Class A/A1)
– A yearly fee of RM30.00 for Class D & above.
The pandemic has accelerated the shifting of many face-to-face practices to online portals and systems. On the 9th of October 2020, JPJ announced that driver’s licenses can be renewed online via MyEG’s website! To renew your license using MyEG’s website, just follow these steps:
- Visit the official MyEG website. If you do not have an account with MyEG, create an account by clicking on the “Register Now” button and filling in the required details.
- If you already have a MyEG account, click the “Login” button, then select your nearest JPJ branch.
- Click on the “Renewing Driving License” button.
- Then, fill in all the required information and select your payment method. Before confirming your payment, make sure all the information provided is correct.
- Once completed, save the receipt as proof if necessary.
- MyEG will send you your new driving license to the address you have provided.
Do note that a fee of RM5.00 will be charged for delivery around the Klang Valley, RM6.00 for peninsular Malaysia and RM10.00 for Sabah and Sarawak. That’s a quick and simple guide on how to renew your CDL! Make sure you don’t sit and wait till it expire before renewing yours!